What are the benefits of default modular streams over non-modular packages?

Hello, in this thread (Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Modules in Non-Modular Buildroot)

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/JNTMUOBZHHCEOV7KS7MRNOBO6VGGT7RX/

I've asked whether it wouldn't be in fact much easier to keep the default versions of our packages non-modular.

Others have said they are interested in this as well. A huge thread happened but it hasn't delivered an answer. Arguments were made that default modular streams are planned to deliver the exact same experience as non-modular packages, yet it was not said if it wouldn't be easier to just deliver non-modular packages for default versions.

Maybe it would be helpful to try to reformulate the question:

**What are the benefits of default modular streams over non-modular packages?**

I'll admit that I personally don't see any benefits, but of course that doesn't mean that they don't exist or that it's not worth having this discussion.

Considering we have 6 default modular streams, let me acknowledge that for the maintainers who decided to deliver default modular streams instead of non-modular packages, there clearly are some benefits. While some of us might not understand them, let's not say there are none. But even if there are clear benefits for the maintainers of those modules, I'm asking about the benefits for everybody else.

I'm mainly interested in benefits for:
 - Fedora users
 - Fedora non-modular packagers
 - Fedora QA
 - Fedora Release Engineering
 - Community Platform Engineering Team
 - Fedora downstream

To get the most out of this discussion I think it's useful to set a few rules, similarly to the official modularity complaint thread:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/CAT3WZ5OJ2N3TPKRHZA3N3PVNSOYX32I/

So let's set some rules:

1. Always assume good faith. If you are not sure, ask clarifying questions.

2. No complaints. This thread is about benefits. Use the complaint thread for complaints.

3. Any vague speculative benefits will be ignored. "I think that having default modular streams sends a better message about how we are a progressive distribution" is an example of a speculative statement. Always be try to be concrete about who benefits, how and by what means.

4. Any argument based on the already spent money/time/energy to deliver default modular streams is to be ignored. It's a classic example of a sunk cost fallacy. "I think we need default modular streams because people have been working really hard to make them happen" is an example of such argument.

--
Miro Hrončok