Re: What are the benefits of default modular streams over non-modular packages?

On 11/14/19 7:56 AM, Miro Hrončok wrote:
**What are the benefits of default modular streams over non-modular packages?**

I think Adam Williamson tried to answer that in a message in the thread "Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path" (link below) when he wrote:

"if you just don't modularize FreeIPA ... we're stuck shipping this one version of FreeIPA for the next seventy jillion years"

I didn't really understand that, but maybe he'll clarify (possibly again) in this thread.

I think I don't understand what he meant because I'm not clear on what he meant to imply would happen when the default module changes.  Perhaps the idea is that nothing happens.  The packages in that module just stop getting updates and it's up to the end user to enable a new module and migrate their data.  That could, conceivably, be seen as better than rebasing the packages on a new version that requires a data migration that can't reliably be done automatically.

That's speculation on my part, however, and it's inconsistent with the behavior that Stephen described in the first message in that thread, which was "When running `dnf update` or `dnf system-upgrade`, if the default stream for a module installed on the system changes and the module's current state is `default_enabled`, then the transaction should cause the new default stream to be enabled."  And I'm not sure how that's different or better than simply rebasing, as RHEL sometimes does.

Anyway, among the messages I've read in the earlier threads, Adam's came closest to answering this question, so I hope he'll weigh in again.

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/7BITVJLX23OBZDTJUAJZAG43FQKSLZ4A/