Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

Hi, Vit,

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 10:57 AM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 14. 11. 19 v 16:13 Stephen Gallagher napsal(a):
> > On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 9:19 AM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I wonder who is doing to clean up all the mess in dist-git we have due
> >> to modularity. specifically, I wonder about all these branches:
> >>
> >> https://src.fedoraproject.org/modules/nodejs/branches?branchname=master
> >>
> >> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/nodejs/branches?branchname=master
> >>

> >> What is their state?
> >>
> > Fedora has a policy of never removing branches from dist-git because
> > legal obligations make it prohibitively difficult to determine when it
> > is safe to do so. As a result, Fedora just disallows removing them in
> > all cases.
>

> Sure, no problem with that. However, it used to be clear which branches
> are maintained. Nobody can tell now. We already have process for retired
> packages, something similar should be used for all retired branches.
>
> @Aleksandra this is a case where technology is definitely ahead of policy.

Not really :)

I am not sure if this case maps well on technology vs policy
statement. Probably it is just a too vague concept to be useful
anyway.
But I see it as a problem with the tooling (dist-git) which we use to
implement the policy (preserving old branches).
And I think Modularity is not relevant to this conversation,

I filed the issue for Fedora Infrastructure [1] with the proposal how
I think we can fix it.

[1] https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/8390

--
Aleksandra Fedorova