Re: What's the State of the Java SIG?

On Monday, November 18, 2019 3:42:20 AM MST Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> IMHO effort spent on maintenance of most of these ursine Java packages
> is mostly wasted effort. As I said before, many times, these packages
> should be retired and replaced by modular packages, which are
> maintained by Java SIG members like me. maven and ant modules are
> already default streams, so users should get them instead of ursine
> packages. The last remaining step is enabling javapackages-tools in
> ursine buildroot so that ursine packages can be built with modular
> maven. Once that happens, there will be no reason to maintain ursine.
> Therefore, instead of putting time on updating ursine Maven et al.
> I recommend to put effort towards enabling modules in ursine buildroots.

Why in the world do you want to move even more to modules?

> Shadowing of ursine packages by modular packages is not a defect.
> That is a feature of modularity. Therefore there is nothing to fix there.

That is a defect of Modularity, as has been covered extensively on this
mailing list in the past few days.

> That is not true. It is entirely possible and feasible to build a
> distribution without ursine Maven/XMvn etc. For example look at
> RHEL 8 - it includes Maven and Ant only as modules. Modules are
> used to build ursine Java packages. The same solution should be
> implemented in Fedora.

I must disagree. That it "works" in RHEL doesn't mean that it should be done
in Fedora. The current situation in Fedora, where maven and ant have been
"moved" to modules has screwed over the Eclipse packagers, for example, and
more are to follow.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity