Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

Dne 14. 11. 19 v 16:13 Stephen Gallagher napsal(a):
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 9:19 AM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I wonder who is doing to clean up all the mess in dist-git we have due
>> to modularity. specifically, I wonder about all these branches:
>>
>> https://src.fedoraproject.org/modules/nodejs/branches?branchname=master
>>
>> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/nodejs/branches?branchname=master
>>

>> What is their state?
>>
> Fedora has a policy of never removing branches from dist-git because
> legal obligations make it prohibitively difficult to determine when it
> is safe to do so. As a result, Fedora just disallows removing them in
> all cases.

Sure, no problem with that. However, it used to be clear which branches
are maintained. Nobody can tell now. We already have process for retired
packages, something similar should be used for all retired branches.

@Aleksandra this is a case where technology is definitely ahead of policy.

Vít