Re: Potential module for wxGTK3.1 unstable series / Audacity

David Timms wrote:
> And this usage can be the impetus that allows library development to be
> well tested by multiple real applications and issues
> known/fixes/improvements in place before the library hardens it's
> ABI/API interfaces at the release.

But why would you want to abuse renowned applications such as Audacity in
stable releases of Fedora for that purpose?

Feel free to ship wxGTK 3.1 and an Audacity built against it in a Copr, for
people deliberately opting in to testing such a build. But please do not
force it onto users of stable releases, who have not opted in to becoming
beta testers.

> In this case extending this idea to also make other Fedora packaged,
> wxGTK3 using applications [1] built with the (hopefully soon) to be
> released library would allow more thorough testing of the library, and
> give us ahead of time the things that need work - in either the library
> or the applications.

Sure, but that is what Copr is for. Please put up a wxGTK 3.1 Copr and start
rebuilding applications against it there (if rebuilding is actually needed).

> Given it would be me doing the work - although I'll need some guidance -
> are any guidelines etc. actually being broken if I was to do the
> modularity thing for wxGTK/Audacity ?

Not sure, but what is sure is that it would make your build of Audacity much
less useful compared to using the stable wxGTK that ships in stable Fedora
and to which all other wxGTK applications are linked by default.

        Kevin Kofler