Re: Potential module for wxGTK3.1 unstable series / Audacity

On 12/11/19 8:46 am, Scott Talbert wrote:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2019, Scott Talbert wrote:

Ouch.  So now you're talking about wanting to package a *fork* of a development release of wxGTK.
No. (unless it was done by simply turning on a config item). Looking closer, building audacity requires an already built wxGTK/dev, which is a separate process. I'm not sure the Fedora packaging system could even do that - build a build requires from a bundled lib, and then install it before the main application build ?

I would strongly suggesting talking to Audacity team about why they
need a fork of wx 3.1.x and why they cannot get their fixes/changes
upstreamed (and backported to wx 3.0). Upstream wx is usually
pretty good about backporting fixes to 3.0 if you request it.

I just took a quick look at the changes in their wx 3.1.1 fork.  It appears they are all Windows and Mac related.  So, their instructions to use their fork when building on Linux make no sense.
Interesting... and is there any difference between 3.0.4 and what they have as 3.1.1 ?

I would recommend doing as Kevin suggested and continue to build against wx 3.0.4 in Fedora.  If you run into a bug that has been fixed in wx 3.1.x, feel free to report it and we will get the fix backported.

While the above is what I've already done locally and what I'll do...

I think it's a good idea to make available these (advanced) build environments, without requiring a whole "rawhide" machine to do this on (which currently still only has the old version anyway).

Don't we want to make it easier for all sorts of people to contribute to open source development. Modules sound like an easy way for that to happen (for the user of the module). We need tester's and developers using future "pieces" that interest them without foregoing an otherwise stable machine.

And this usage can be the impetus that allows library development to be well tested by multiple real applications and issues known/fixes/improvements in place before the library hardens it's ABI/API interfaces at the release.

In this case extending this idea to also make other Fedora packaged, wxGTK3 using applications [1] built with the (hopefully soon) to be released library would allow more thorough testing of the library, and give us ahead of time the things that need work - in either the library or the applications.

Given it would be me doing the work - although I'll need some guidance - are any guidelines etc. actually being broken if I was to do the modularity thing for wxGTK/Audacity ?

ps. I haven't come across the docs on the packaging side of modules - any pointers, please ?

Dave.

[1] https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/nAopftRQuTcxokDbHP~nkw