Re: Potential module for wxGTK3.1 unstable series / Audacity

David Timms wrote:
> Audacity development (git) requires linking against wxGTK3.1.

Does it really? I cannot find this requirement in their git repository.

> The normal Fedora wxGTK3 package is at wxGTK3-3.04 in F29/30/31/devel.
> wxGTK3.1 is a development series which eventually leads to wxGTK3.2
> release. Upstream is currently at 3.1.3 and expecting at least a 3.1.4
> next year. Audacity 2.3.3 release is imminent (RC02).

Ewww! Why is nobody complaining to Audacity upstream about that (assuming
that they really do require 3.1)? Requiring an unreleased/unstable wxGTK (I
would not count a development release as "released") makes no sense
whatsoever for a stable release of Audacity. Why are they not maintaining a
stable branch based on a stable wxGTK release? They should.

> I would like to be able to release the next Audacity (once tested) when
> it drops.

I would recommend against doing that (unless you can get it to build against
wxGTK 3.0 after all). Please wait until wxGTK 3.2 is actually stable and
available in Fedora.

> I've been reading about Fedora modules, and am wondering whether the
> following would make sense as a potential solution ?:
>
> $ dnf  modules  list  wxGTK3
>
> Fedora Modular 30 - x86_64
> Name     Stream           Profiles             Summary
> wxGTK3   3.1.n-unstable   default [d], devel   GTK wxWidgets GUI library

No, that would be a very bad idea, because it means Audacity would then
conflict with all other wxGTK applications, or at least force them to run
with the unstable wxGTK with which they were not tested (depending on
whether wxGTK 3.1 is binary-backwards-compatible with 3.0 or not).

Modules are always the wrong solution for libraries because they are not
parallel-installable.

> If the module was setup like this, then could the normal repo
> audacity.spec package:
> BuildRequires: wxGTK3:3.1.n-unstable/devel
>
> Requires: does this get sorted out magically like in a normal package ?

No, building against a module does not work like that, it is more
complicated. But a module is a bad idea anyway, see above.

> As I'm not on the wxGTK3 package team, can I do this without their
> approval/assistance ?

No, you definitely need to find a solution together with them.

        Kevin Kofler