Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 at 09:49, Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 12. 11. 19 v 14:04 Aleksandra Fedorova napsal(a):
> > Hi,
> >

> > 2) I don't think Modularity is a failure in its current state.
> >
> > Yes, we do have a problem of default streams. There are several
> > reasons for that.
> >
> > One thing i find interesting is that: we were very cautious on tech
> > implementation side, delaying certain technical tools and solutions,
> > while we were not cautious enough on the process and policy.
> > And it feels like we should have done it the opposite way: iterate
> > (and sometimes fail) on the tooling faster, but have a much more
> > restrictive approach to the policy.
>

> Wasn't it the opposite way? If there was enough policies together with
> the tools, we could prevent some issues we are facing right now.

Both of you are correct because the words use have multiple meanings.

We were fairly open on policy and allowed a lot of things to be
modules without looking at how the crystalization which would follow.
We were also fairly conservative because we didn't have a large amount
of policy.

We were fairly tight on the tooling which meant that certain changes
didn't get pushed into the buildsystem quickly. We were also fairly
open on the tooling because we didn't have tools in place which
enforced any policy.

I think the point both of you might agree on is that we need to have
policies which can be enforced by tooling which allow for quicker tool
updates but do not allow for rapid 'crystalization' to an end state
where everything has to be a module or can never be a module.

> Vít
>

> > And now we are trying to evaluate Modularity without actually giving
> > it a chance to be implemented _for real_.
> >
> > Anyway, default streams is just one side of a story. It did get into
> > the critical path of Fedora and did create upgrade problems and
> > certain UX issues, but I think we can restrict and resolve it.
> > For that we need to focus on the issue, which is, from my point of
> >
> > One is caused by the lack of Ursa Prime, another is the upgrade
> > functionality, and I guess the third one is the non-api and filtered
> > packages in the module.
> >
> > P.S. I am not a member of Modularity team.

Stephen J Smoogen.