Re: Modularity and all the things

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 8:48:15 PM MST Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > What you call unfair, I call open source winning in the industry.
> > Does it create an imbalance between funded vs. unfunded work?  Yes.
> > That is the reality of the software landscape today though, and I
> > think it's a net good thing even if it is somewhat departed from what
> > people consider open source "roots".
>

> Some of us do not believe in capitalism, especially in the dogma that the
> markets will always do the right thing.
>
> What I see in this case is that the design of Modularity is optimized for
> large enterprise customers (of RH/IBM) with deep pockets and their use
> cases. Those have the resources to bring up a separate container, VM, or
> even a separate physical server for every single server application they
> run. They also do not seem to consider the desktop use case to be critical.
>  (I can only guess that they use Windows on all their desktops, or they
> would care.) Everyone else gets stuck in version conflict hell.

The wild thing, in my opinion, is that's what we prefer to do as well!

So, it's weird to me, as a Red Hat customer, that Red Hat wants to push
"modules" and all that, which only make things more of a pain for us
enterprise admins..

That said, while those corps may have "deep pockets", please keep in mind that
the IT department is generally underfunded at best.. Though we certainly make
it work.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity