Re: EPEL-8 builds

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 04:48:41PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 4:36 PM Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Dne 07. 11. 19 v 11:12 Peter Robinson napsal(a):
> > > I'd like to know why people are pushing EPEL-8 builds without engaging
> > > with the maintainers of the packages.
> >
> > Because they can?
> > Nothing in guidelines say: "you have to contact maintainer of different branch when you request new one".
>
> If there's specific reasons that a maintainer wouldn't want it in el8
> surely the right thing to do would be to engage so they could at least
> offer to co-maintain it for el8. I feel it's wrong to assume that
> someone is able to take on the load of maintaining the package for the
> lifetime of el8 without engagement. If the person doesn't have the
> time or interest it just ends up with something that will bitrot and
> give everyone a bad experience.
>
> I feel the guidelines should include those requirements or something
> similar else it's just hostile to expect that someone takes up that
> extra load whether they want to or not!.

Yeah, the epel guidelines do, but I don't think there's any enforcement.
:(

Long back in the pkgdb days the way it worked is that you request a
branch and if you are maintainer/comaintainer you can just have it, if
you are not you had to wait at least a week for the maintainers to
ack/nack the request. Sadly, I don't think there was any notification of
these, so people would just request and wait a week and get the branch.

Perhaps we can add a check to the new branch request thing that
hopefully will land soon. Pingou? I'd even be ok with just requiring you
be a maintainer to request the branch.

It's completely not right to sign someone else up for a bunch of work
without their consent.

kevin