Re: EPEL-8 builds

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 4:36 PM Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 07. 11. 19 v 11:12 Peter Robinson napsal(a):
> > I'd like to know why people are pushing EPEL-8 builds without engaging
> > with the maintainers of the packages.
>
> Because they can?
> Nothing in guidelines say: "you have to contact maintainer of different branch when you request new one".

If there's specific reasons that a maintainer wouldn't want it in el8
surely the right thing to do would be to engage so they could at least
offer to co-maintain it for el8. I feel it's wrong to assume that
someone is able to take on the load of maintaining the package for the
lifetime of el8 without engagement. If the person doesn't have the
time or interest it just ends up with something that will bitrot and
give everyone a bad experience.

I feel the guidelines should include those requirements or something
similar else it's just hostile to expect that someone takes up that
extra load whether they want to or not!.

> Of course, it is better if they ask you first. And of course, you can ask those people directly too :)

Believe me I have asked them, I wanted to know though in a public
forum without naming and shaming.