Re: Why Redhat and Fedora create rpms differently

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 12:40 PM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 25. 10. 19 v 16:32 David Cantrell napsal(a):
> > On 10/25/19 10:20 AM, Code Zombie wrote:
> >> Just trying to get started with packaging. I started with a pretty
> >> big app, and looking through tutorials, it seems Fedora and Redhat
> >> use different ways to create rpms. I am a bit confused,  seems
> >> complicated. Which one will work on Fedora?
> >>
> >> Some mentioned docs :
> >>
> >> Fedora:
> >> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/creating-rpm-packages/
> >>
> >> Redhat:
> >> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2019/03/18/rpm-packaging-guide-creating-rpm/
> >>

> >> I think it would be nice if the example apps were more realistic,
> >> e.g. considering dependencies, etc.
> >
> > There are two main categories of packaging in the world of Fedora and
> > Red Hat:
> >
> > * How we package things included with the distribution
> > * How users package things on their systems
> >
> > The developers.redhat.com article you linked to is aimed at users
> > doing the latter.  It is entirely valid and is part of the workflow
> > that a lot of admins and developers follow.  But it is not how we
> > package things for inclusion in Fedora.
>

> I'd say that one difference also is that there is no mock officially
> available on plain RHEL.
>

> Vít

Fortunately, it's in EPEL. And AWS Linux includes it. And some of us
occasionally get aggressive and publish git repos with the hooks to
support the latest OS, as I did with RHEL 8 and CentOS 8 and made pull
requests to the mock git repositories. My tool chain is over at
https://github.com/nkadel/mockrepo .