Re: Why Redhat and Fedora create rpms differently

On 10/25/19 10:20 AM, Code Zombie wrote:
Just trying to get started with packaging. I started with a pretty big app, and looking through tutorials, it seems Fedora and Redhat use different ways to create rpms. I am a bit confused,  seems complicated. Which one will work on Fedora?

Some mentioned docs :

Fedora:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/creating-rpm-packages/

Redhat:
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2019/03/18/rpm-packaging-guide-creating-rpm/

I think it would be nice if the example apps were more realistic, e.g. considering dependencies, etc.

There are two main categories of packaging in the world of Fedora and Red Hat:

* How we package things included with the distribution
* How users package things on their systems

The developers.redhat.com article you linked to is aimed at users doing the latter. It is entirely valid and is part of the workflow that a lot of admins and developers follow. But it is not how we package things for inclusion in Fedora.

For packages that go in to the distribution, we have the packaging policies. The Fedora packaging policy and guide are the best place to start if you are interested in maintaining packages in Fedora or adding new packages.

I recommend looking at any of the existing packages in the distribution for some examples, all of those can be found on src.fedoraproject.org/rpms

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat, Inc. | Boston, MA | EST5EDT