Re: Modularity and all the things

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 8:43 AM Petr Šabata <contyk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I do believe we all intend the best, even if we sometimes disagree. We
> currently don’t have any other proposal that would fulfill the vision
> of our Objective and the needs of our users. The input here helps us
> re-focus on the most acute pain points but the manpower and control we
> have is also rather limited. If you want to and can help with the
> implementation, I’d like to encourage you to do so.

Hi Petr,

Thanks for your message. Yes, I think it's good to acknowledge that
everyone here wants what's best for Fedora, even if we disagree on
what that might be.

I'd like to push back slightly on one point though: does the current
modularity proposal really fulfil the vision of the Objective?

Matthew posted the following three goals for the Modularity Objective
from a recent council meeting:

>  1. Users should have alternate streams of software available.
>  2. Those alternate streams should be able to have different lifecycles.
>  3. Packaging an individual stream for multiple outputs should be easier
>      than before.

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think modularity-- at
the moment-- actually accomplishes the third point. And in fact, I
read the logs from the council meeting and some people made this
point, and others have made it in the other threads: that the
requirement to maintain module metadata for a module means that it'll
almost inevitably be more work to maintain a one-package, one-stream
module than it would be to just maintain one package.

Now, this is just one point but... I think it speaks to what I feel is
an expectation mismatch between "Modularity" as a thing the Council
wants- a high-level proposal of a direction for the distribution-- and
"Modularity" as an attempt to implement a real thing. I can only speak
for myself, but I think some of the frustration that seeps into this
conversation is a feeling or perception that modularity the *thing*
can't be revisited because it's the realization of modularity the
high-level *goal*.

For example, reading the Council meeting logs, people talked about
"trusting" (or "not trusting") the modularity contributors and their
engineering decisions. With respect, I don't think it should be a
matter of trust: we have a well-established process for making
specific changes to Fedora. Changes get approved by FESCo, and if
necessary, FESCo can decide to pull them or implement the fallback
procedure. I don't see any reason modularity should bypass that
process.

Please understand: I'm not trying to demean or disrespect the
modularity team or their work here. While I certainly understand the
benefits modularity might bring us (there are packages I'd strongly
consider modularizing), I want to be confident that decisions to roll
it out are being taken because we think it's ready to be rolled out
and that there are solid plans to mitigate problems we already know
about it. Not because we need to implement the Objective at all costs.

I said this in one of the other threads, but I would really like to
see Modularity Guidelines drawn up before we allow further use of
modules in Fedora. We should decide what is and isn't acceptable to
modularize, what the rules are and aren't for creating and upgrading
streams, and so on. And if we can't figure out a way to square the
goals for modularity with the necessary guidelines to not cause major
problems in the distribution... well, maybe that calls for significant
rethinking?

Sincerely,
Ben Rosser