Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path

On Thu, 2019-10-17 at 14:44 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> > > You could install the ipa-client package and enroll a system into IPA from a
> > > kickstart in RHEL 7 too.. Without modules. That's what I've deployed for the
> > > environments I support, for example. Using a module is not required there.
> >
> > That wasn't the point, though - the point was the answer the question
> > "why do we need *default* module streams?"
> >
> > The logic is this: FreeIPA maintainers wanted FreeIPA to be a module in
> > RHEL, to take advantage of the added flexibility around lifecycles and
> > version bumps (basically so each RHEL release isn't tied to one version
> > of FreeIPA forever). But if it's modularized and there's no concept of
> > 'default stream modules', this is a thing that breaks: you can't
> > install it from a kickstart. So, *given that* we wanted to modularize
> > FreeIPA in RHEL *and* we also want to still make it deployable via
> > kickstart, that creates a requirement for default stream modules or
> > something a lot like it.
>
> This doesn't seem quite true.  You couldn't install it with the same kickstart
> you used for EL7, but you could use the new module command or syntax in kickstart:
Indeed, you can install modules via kickstart. For details, see:
https://pykickstart.readthedocs.io/en/latest/kickstart-docs.html#chapter-9-package-selection
https://pykickstart.readthedocs.io/en/latest/kickstart-docs.html#module

> module --name=NAME [--stream=STREAM]
This just enables a module stream (or can explicitely disable it with the --disable option). No packages
will be installed from such module unless specified in the %packages section.

> and/or
>
> %packages
> @module:stream/profile
This enables the module stream and installs a profile - the one specified or the default profile otherwise.

The syntax is pretty much the same as for DNF CLI - if you call "dnf install @module:stream/profile" you should
get the same result.