Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 03:38:39AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > So, literally every word of this is wrong. The negative feedback is
> > not "overwhelming". It is approximately four noisy individuals, all of
> > whom have expressed zero interest in understanding the actual
> > situation that they are trying to "fix" by endlessly insulting the
> > people working on the problem. Demoralizing the people who can dig us
> > out of this situation is an unwise strategy.
>
> LOL, filing off mailing list consensus as "four noisy individuals". This is
> getting really ridiculous! Why am I even arguing with somebody who clearly
> does not want to listen?
>
> And you are the people who brought us into this situation to begin with.
> Default streams should never have been allowed without:
> 1. an upgrade path from default stream to default stream, AND
> 2. a contingency plan, i.e., an upgrade path from default stream to
>    non-modular default version
> The fact that they were implemented without EITHER of these (when actually
> BOTH are needed) was extremely short-sighted.
>
> So bringing yourselves up now as "the people who can dig us out of this
> situation" feels to me feels like intentionally making a patient sick so you
> can "cure" them.

I can understand with the frustration you seem to have, but I think this section
is un-called for and not worth being sent to the devel list.

Stephen is working on modularity either because he has been tasked to or because
he genuinely believe on the idea and goals, either way we want him involved in
these discussions, otherwise any feedback anyone may have will never reached the
right person.
As the project evolve some of the earlier assumptions turned to be correct and
some turned to be wrong. I remember you raising some concerns early on, and
there could be reasons for which they were not taken into account then.
So let's not judge or try to re-write the past and focus on possible solutions
as the rest of your email was doing.
I'm not saying that your solution is the better one or the one that will be
implemented, but having Stephen on this thread is the proof that it will at
least be evaluated and thought through.

Thank you Stephen for your involvement in this discussion.

Pierre