Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Modules in Non-Modular Buildroot

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 8:42 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 8:12 PM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > > 3) We need to get the policy I described above written onto -stone
> > > tablets- the Packaging Guidelines and then we need to go and make any
> > > stream that isn't compliant with it a non-default stream.
> >
> > But then we need a policy that requires a default version (non-modular or at
> > least a default stream) to be available. Otherwise we end up with packages
> > that are not installable out of the box because they have no default version
> > at all.
> >

> Not necessarily. It may be that we have to content ourselves with some
> software always requiring a module enablement to use it. For example,
> I maintain a module for Review Board, a Django-based code review tool.
> For complicated reasons, it cannot run against Django newer than 1.6
> (the Review Board upstream maintains the 1.6 stream of Django for
> security patches). If we decide that deps of default streams are bound
> to the same rules as default streams (or, alternately, Matthew's
> proposal of requiring only depending on default streams), then the
> necessary outcome is that Review Board can only be available via
> non-default stream (since it depends on django:1.6).
>
> That said, I'm sure that we can come up with ways to make that more
> discoverable, but today we have limitations with how DNF is able to do
> `search` or `repoquery`... it can only manage this with default or
> enabled streams and it doesn't "see" the non-default streams. If we go
> this path, I'd want to hear some input (and get some help!) on
> improving the discovery experience.

A big chunk of the problem in fixing this will go away once this is
merged: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libdnf/pull/814

> > Matthew Miller wrote:
> > > How would this act in the case where a default stream depends on a
> > > non-default stream?
> >
> > From a policy standpoint, that non-default stream then ought to be bound by
> > the same rules as default streams. But allowing a default stream to depend
> > on a non-default stream paves the way for version conflicts to happen, so I
> > am not convinced that it is a good idea to begin with.
> >

> With the notable caveat of the example above, I'm willing to accept
> this restriction in Fedora. We just need to acknowledge that it *will*
> mean that some software we provide is less discoverable. If that's
> deemed to be a worthwhile tradeoff, I have no problems with
> implementing it.

We need a way for module dependencies to not care of
default/non-default and handle this gracefully, even in transitions.

> > > (And how would restricting default streams to only be able to depend on
> > > default streams change things?)
> >
> > It would solve the version conflicts issue, so it makes a lot of sense, but
> > at that point, why not require the default versions to just be non-modular
> > instead? The main argument for using default streams was that they can
> > depend on non-default streams of other modules. So if we disallow this
> > (which I think makes sense), we may as well disallow default streams
> > entirely and simplify things for everyone. (We would just need a short-term
> > workaround for the default streams that exist now. The problem would be gone
> > in the long run.)
> >

> There's still a case that you haven't considered, which is things that
> work at runtime as a default but cannot *build* against the default
> set of packages. For example, we might have packages whose buildsystem
> still relies on Python 2 (WAF?) but doesn't require it at runtime.
> There might be packages that haven't yet migrated to a new,
> backwards-incompatible change to Docbook for generating documentation.
> Or packages that only build properly with a newer version of golang
> than shipped in that release, or any of a thousand other examples that
> are easily solved by build-time-only content and dependencies in
> module streams.
>
> Also there are yet other packages (such as in the Go and Rust
> ecosystems) that could simply be built once on Rawhide with the latest
> compiler and shipped to each of the other releases without needing a
> rebuild because they are statically linked. Modules allow this, basic
> RPMs not so much.

This is actually not true. Every language stack we have does some
degree of dynamic linking, even if it's only to glibc.

The *only* reason we don't allow non-modular RPMs to be built once in
rawhide and shipped to all releases without a rebuild is purely
policy. We can mechanically do that since Koji lets you multi-tag RPMs
into multiple collections.

> So even if we eliminate the version conflicts issue by restricting
> what comprises a default stream, there are other benefits to module
> default streams.

Ehh...