Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 08:31:10AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> This is not true. It should be *possible* to have a fully modularized
> distribution, but that isn't a specific goal for Fedora or RHEL.

Because this keeps coming up, we talked about this at the Fedora Council
meeting today. Our goals for modularity are:

  1. Users should have alternate streams of software available.

  2. Those alternate streams should be able to have different lifecycles.

  3. Packaging an individual stream for multiple outputs should be easier
     than before.

The idea of modularizing the whole distro isn't a bad vision, but we're
aiming a little closer to home for now.

I'm perfectly happy with a lot of different ways to get to that goal. I
think the modularity team has done a lot of amazing, hard work _even if
we're not there yet_.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>