Re: Defining the future of the packager workflow in Fedora

On Wed, 2019-10-02 at 09:39 +0200, Felix Schwarz wrote:
> Am 01.10.19 um 16:55 schrieb Stephen John Smoogen:
> > Then there are problems with budgets and figuring out what exactly it
> > would cost. We fall outside of many of the 'caveats' that would allow
> > us to get free.
>
> IIRC at the time when Fedora evaluated its options the open source version of
> Gitlab was more limited than today. AFAIK Debian + FreeDesktop developers
> worked with Gitlab Inc. and finally succeeded in getting necessary features
> included in the open source version.
>
> If the evaluation was done today and there were no Pagure I suspect Fedora
> would use gitlab as well.
>
> (I'm also wondering if Fedora writes too much custom infrastructure when there
> are "open core" offerings which might provide more features - e.g. Gitlab
> instead of Pagure, sentry instead of abrt. But I'm aware of limited ressources
> and I trust my fellow Fedorians with their judgement.)
Personally I still think it's not a very good idea to depend on any open-core infrastructure
software, due to the possibility of conflict of interrest in the future.

Eq. the company behind the software will not accept your patches as it clashes with their
business model & proprietary code additions they sell to their customers. Then you will
have to maintain those patches pretty much indefinitely. Might as well use a fully open
source solution to avoid such future pitfalls.