Re: Fedora 32 Self-Contained Change proposal: Better Thermal Management for the Workstation

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:21 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ThermalManagementWS
>
> == Summary ==
> Better thermal management and peak performance on Intel CPUs by
> including thermald in the default install.

> Install the packages and use e.g. turbostat to monitor the
> performance. Improvements may only be visible if the non-free
> dptfxtract package is also installed.

So, looking at the license of that tool, it seems to be fine to
redistribute it unmodified... so what if we wrote a tool that would
run the `acpidump` and `acpixtract` locally, submit it to a very
simple web service and get back the config file for their system? We
could make this an ExecStartPre for the thermald.service. Upside: we
aren't shipping closed-source binaries but getting the advantage from
them. Downside: this would mean thermald wouldn't be started until
after the network was reachable. I suspect we could establish some
fallback cases though.

That said, given the rest of the comments on this ticket, I'm not sure
we want to approve thermald for default operation on Fedora 32. It
sounds as though it causes serious performance issues on many systems.