Re: Fedora 32 Self-Contained Change proposal: Better Thermal Management for the Workstation

On Tue, 2019-09-24 at 09:08 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> This sounds interesting, but this tool is probably coming late into
> play to fix early boot thermal throttling issues such as:

We submitted a patch to the kernel to lower the severity of those
messages, because they indeed are usually not critical:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/157129680050.29376.455617240270032569.tip-bot2@tip-bot2/

Let me quote the relevant message from Srinivas:

"CPU temperature doesn't have to hit max(TjMax) to get these warnings.
OEMs ha[ve] an ability to program a threshold where a thermal interrupt
can be generated. In some systems the offset is 20C+ (Read only value).

In recent systems, there is another offset on top of it which can be
programmed by OS, once some agent can adjust power limits dynamically.
By default this is set to low by the firmware, which I guess the
prime motivation of Benjamin to submit the patch."

Additionally Srinivas is working on a patch set to optimize the logging
of the messages even further as to avoid seeing them during normal
operations at all:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20191014212101.25719-1-srinivas.pandruvada@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Thermald (1.9, with the right configuration) should address some of the
actual throtteling mentioned above, but it will probably not work for
all affected laptops.

Cheers,
CK