Re: Major update to LLVM appearing in F31 without any communication, appears to violate update policy

On 09/26/2019 01:21 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-09-26 at 20:55 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi Tom,

>>> Ok, what's the best way to resolve this issue?  Do you want me to
>>> cancel the update and overrides and re-submit after f31-final is out?
>
> If there's a sufficient justification for including LLVM 9, we still
> can. I just wanted to flag up that it was happening and that it
> *shouldn't* happen without sufficient justification, and probably
> without more communication about it. Like, a mail to devel@ "hold onto
> your hats, we're going to upgrade llvm in f31 because X, Y, Z" would've
> helped.
>
>> If I understand things correctly, there are currently separate
>> mesa and llvm updates for this in bodhi?  That is never a good
>> idea when there are ABI dependencies between 2 updates, bodhi does
>> allow you to add multiple builds in a single update.
>>
>> So my 2 cents is that it would be best to cancel the separate
>> llvm bodhi update and add the llvm build to the mesa update, then
>> the update will be self contained / cleanly apply to current F31 stable.
>
> So far as resolving this issue goes, the llvm update has like 11
> packages in it, the mesa update has 1. So it would make a deal more
> sense to unpush the *mesa* update and add a mesa build to the llvm
> update.
>
> Note that Bodhi will not let you add a package to two updates - even if
> one of them is unpushed - so to get the exact same mesa build in an
> update you would need help from someone with superpowers who could go
> do nasty things in the database to override this. The easier trick is
> simply to bump and rebuild mesa with no changes, and add *that* mesa
> build to the llvm update.
>
> You *could* also just leave them separate so long as you make sure not
> to push the mesa update stable before the llvm one. It is better to get
> this right in the first place and put all the packages into one update,
> but if you wind up with them separate and are careful about the push
> order it won't cause any huge problems (it just causes things like
> openQA test failures that attract angry QA people :>)

The LLVM update has the necessary karma now and all the gating tests
have passed.  Should I push this to stable now and then push the mesa
update later or should we still try to combine the updates?

-Tom