Re: Major update to LLVM appearing in F31 without any communication, appears to violate update policy

On 09/26/2019 11:03 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> We are currently in the "Beta to Pre Release" phase of the release
> cycle. The updates policy for this phase -
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Beta_to_Pre_Release -
> says:
>
> "From this point onwards maintainers MUST[1]:
>
>     Avoid Major version updates, ABI breakage or API changes if at all
> possible."
>
> However, it seems a major new release of LLVM is appearing in F31 at
> present, and AFAIK there has been no discussion or communication about
> this at all.
>
> LLVM 9 is currently in the buildroot, and an update with a very short
> description has been submitted:
>
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2019-b83bd6b46c
>
> (it just says "Update for LLVM 9 rebase.", which is odd since it *is*
> the LLVM 9 rebase).
>
> There is no Change for this, I can't find a mail about it anywhere,
> it's just been sort of dumped in. Is there enough grounds for dumping
> in a major new LLVM and violating the update policy at this point in
> the F31 release?

There are compatibility packages included in the update, so there should not
be any ABI breakage from this update.  Also, what exactly is the main
issue right now?  Is it the buildroot overrides?  The update has not
been pushed to testing yet, so I did not think it would impact anything.

-Tom