Re: Defining the future of the packager workflow in Fedora

On 9/26/19 11:14 AM, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 4:57 PM Jeremy Cline <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 04:49:31PM +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:

>>> Ugh. Can we please just agree that source-git (vs. dist-git) is almost
>>> always a bad idea?
>>>

>> Can you expand on that? To me it is a much easier way to maintain
>> packages, but I don't have tons of experience doing that and I'm
>> perhaps not the "average package maintainer". Hearing other perspectives
>> would be helpful.
>
> Sorry, I should have expanded on that short statement.
>
> I literally maintain hundreds of packages, mostly by myself (yes,
> that's too many, but that's a problem that tooling can't fix).
> I'd hazard to guess that 90% of these packages don't contain *any*
> patches on top of an upstream release. So pointing the .spec file to
> an upstream tarball is the *absolute easiest thing* possible, and I
> don't want to have to deal with the upstream git repo contents for
> these packages at all.
> For another 9% of packages, I maintain a small set of local patches
> (up to two patches or so), which I can "generate on the fly" for every
> new upstream release (if necessary), and which is only a small amount
> of work.
> For the remaining 1% (about 2-3 of my packages), I maintain a local
> git repository with branches for every release, where I maintain a
> small downstream patch-set. This seems to correspond to a source-git
> approach, and might be similar to what you're doing.
>
> So, to summarize: I just don't want the absolute edge case to become
> the general case. It would make things *massively* more complicated
> for me, and I guess that applies to the "average packager" in fedora,
> as well.
>
> Fabio

KiCAD is the main project I help maintain.  It consists of seven separate upstream repositories.  One is on launchpad; the rest are on github.  I would not want to have to mirror them all into Fedora.  The tarball / dist-git approach works very well for this project.

	Steve