Re: Defining the future of the packager workflow in Fedora

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 02:57:45PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

[snip]

> Allow packagers to have a clone of the upstraem git repo, and use the
> pull-requests and run Fedora CI testing against the Fedora branch of
> the upstream repo instead of against dist-git.
>
> In this way, maintaining packages in Fedora would be functionally identical
> to how an upstream project maintains their own stable branches. The only
> Fedora difference would be that the branch would need to include the RPM
> spec file in some well defined place.

This will only work for a subset of upstreams though. Not everyone is
using git, and even in cases where they are it can be better to use
their released tar because what they distribute is generated from their
upstream, but cannot be used directly without duplicating their release
process and possibly introducing errors.

Another situation is gpg signed release tars, eg. parted and gnupg1 are
2 examples of that. parted being a nice example of a messy upstream
(yeah, I'm slowly working on getting that fixed) where you start with a
known release and add patches until they (me/us) do a new official
release.

Support for signed tags from upstream would help with the gpg part, but
not very many people are actually signing their tags.

I'm also not clear on where the .spec files and tests would live if you
are using a fork of the upstream. We still need dist-git to store those,
even if everything that touches them is a tool other than vim. Or maybe
I missed something :)

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart