Re: RPM Fusion Bugzilla Bug 5307

On 9/23/2019 10:55 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 1:49 PM Ty Young <youngty1997@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 9/23/19 9:56 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
The problem with that is that if we did it that way, nobody would
adapt to the change. Much in the same manner that we're moving to
cgroups v2 in Fedora 31, if we didn't do it, we can't suss out
breakages and fix them (if possible). And if third parties that don't
keep up with these changes (especially one that happened in 2013 for
Fedora GNOME!), there's not much that can be done.

Fedora is not Linux. You are not the sole arbiters of what gets changed
in the Linux ecosystem. You all need to get that through your damn
heads. No other distro/DE besides Gnome supports this and it doesn't
look like that's ever going to change.

We are not, sure. But the Fedora distribution is allowed to have the
opinion to do new things and see how it goes. Each of the spins are
allowed to work towards implementing this whenever they want. I
suspect at this point we're mostly waiting to move to Wayland on the
spins rather than doing work on Xorg stuff.

This is true, but somewhat sidesteps the very real point that "Fedora Linux" has a larger-than-normal impact on the Linux ecosystem as a whole, as well as that it's essentially the branching upstream of RHEL, and thus all EL-derivatives.

IMHO it's entirely justified to criticize Fedora for questionable decisions or decision-making when those decisions impact non- "Fedora Linux" users. Disallowing that smacks of wanting to have one's cake and eat it too when it comes to influence. (See also: Fedora v. FreeDesktop decision-making)

-jc