Re: Add a rule to have a compose when Fedora branched

On 9/18/19 1:41 AM, jkonecny@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
> Thanks for the explanation. See my comments below.

...snip...

>> * Stop rawhide composes until we have a branched compose. This may
>> not
>> be needed with the change to make rawhide use 'rawhide' and not the
>> number, but we should consider it if we don't have a compose to avoid
>> confusion.
>
> Where should I signed this? :)
>
> But now for real, from my understanding you are basically proposing
> improved version of what Miro mentioned somewhere here in the thread.
> That means make freeze after branching. I definitely agree on that.

Well, I was not saying we should go into Beta freeze immediately and
stay in it until Beta is out. I was just saying we should have a
temporary freeze right after branching until we have a completed
branched compose. Then we can open things up again until Beta freeze.

> Aside of that you are suggesting Rawhide should freeze too before the
> branched Fedora has a compose. Not sure if that would really help
> because if the Rawhide will *unfreeze* the same date as when the
> branched Fedora have first compose then we don't have a time to react.

Well, I am not sure we need to stop rawhide until we have a branched
compose. This time it would have helped because mirrormanager pointed
all the branched repos to rawhide since there was no branched, so it
caused a lot of confusion.

if we can land the change to make rawhide use 'rawhide' as it's version,
it would avoid this confusion, as people wanted to switch to branched
would need to explicitly sync to it (which means it has to exist).

> In my F31 case most importantly copr will be in similar situation that
> they will use Rawhide *new* compose (if they won't be really fast)
> instead of the old one for a new Fedora chroot. And I don't think we
> want to add some lag between the successful Fedora compose and the
> Rawhide one.

I'm not sure what you mean here, can you expand on it or provide an example?

> Other than this one point I agree with what you just wrote.
>
> Jirka

kevin