Re: Add a rule to have a compose when Fedora branched

On 17. 09. 19 16:39, jkonecny@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Miro,

No, I did not wanted to tell that the python 3.8 transition was badly
executed. The problem was more about timing.

I was fighting with Fedora 31 and we had Rawhide as replacement for F31
tests because the environment is usually not that different. However,
when the switch to python 3.8 happened, there were no compose ready for
Fedora 31. In the end we were with broken tests and even broken backup
tests solution. I had to found third solution.

As soon as Fedora branches is IMHO actually the best timing for making rawhide different. It means that people might actually stop breaking branched for a while focusing on the rawhide differences :D

Either way, here are two ideas about what bothers you:

1) Stop caring about compose, test/build against koji

Add the local repo to your test system (mock/copr/whatnot):

https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/repos/f31-build/latest/x86_64/

2) Maybe we should freeze immediately after we branch and only allow compose fixes to go in until the first successful branched compose?

Pylint is never prepared for the switch. If something crucial is
depending on
pylint, it should stop.

However, when you opened this discussion. Why we are not waiting for
pylint to be ready? Is there a reason? I mean pylint is one of the main
linters available for python, so having python without working pylint
looks kind of fragile to me.

Because pylint is never ready in time. The upstream doesn't work on 3.X problems when we do (usually responding something like: "the current pylint doesn't support 3.X, 3.X support is planned for the next release"). And that is completely fine in my POV.

There are around 3000 Python 3 packages in Fedora. We carefully decide what packages we "wait" for. It's not a defined set, but mostly we look if the following works:

 - default package set in blocking media
 - critpath
 - fedpkg, bodhi, koji, mock...

pylint simply isn't blocking anything "important". Having Python without working pylint is completely fine. Linters are optional. When you want to run tests, you don't need linters. If you disagree (and that's fine as well) and want to make this better next time, you can co-maintain pylint [1] and when we update to 3.9, you can provide patches. The Python Maintenance team will not (because we don't consider pylint important).

I also want to tell you thanks a lot for doing all the work about
python migration it's not an easy task and you are doing great work
there!

Thanks.

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/E5TJ5YD52RN2CI6TKLKOQXZNXFELZCCN/

--