Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal (late): No i686 Repositories

On 9/9/19 3:35 PM, vvs vvs wrote:
I didn't answered your other question because I've answered the same question several times already. Yes, I have a use cases where I'll get a severe performance hit if I was not careful. And this is related to available memory and swapping. And I can't afford losing yet another hundred megabytes for no particular reason. And I don't think that constantly upgrading my computer is the answer. I remember times when it was possible to install Red Hat Linux on a computer with 32 MB of RAM. Going in that direction I should do nothing but upgrade every now and then even though I don't want my computer to affect my activities that hard. And some people thought that Windows 95 was a memory hog!

In all your emails, you have never said that you've tried to use a 64-bit userspace. You keep making this claim that if you did you would lose "another hundred megabytes", but have you actually tried it?

You can still run Linux in an extremely limited amount of RAM. I do it all the time with openwrt. But do you really want to go back to the level of functionality you had back then?