Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal (late): No i686 Repositories

On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 14:52:07 -0000,
 vvs vvs <vvs009@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
May be there are more interested people that we know, but they are not reading that list. There will just be just every man for himself and Fedora has failed to recognize that.

This requires time and effort too. Nobody will appear just by a miracle. I recognize that there is much less people interested in this architecture but it's much more than zero.

I'm probably one of the few people still running Fedora on a machine that uses i686, that can't use x86_64. The machine is around 15 years old and is costly to get replacement parts for and I'm running out of spares. I was supposed to replace the machine last month, but needed another month to save up enough to buy the rest of the replacement. I've actually work with upstream to get kernel bugs fixed for this machine.

Unfortunately I run rawhide and things got shut down a little sooner than I hoped, so I'm not getting updates right now and don't want to go back to f30 with the short horizon for retirement (though I did grab an f30 kernel).

I don't think you are going to find many people who both run Fedora and have to use i686.

There is a cost to keeping things running on i686 and it doesn't look like it is worth paying right now. And things are looking to get worse rather than better.

You have options. You can switch to another distro that will support i686 for a while yet. Use f30 until it's EOL (or beyond if the machines are isolated). Or maintain your own distro. The tools for Fedora are open, so you could set up your own koji instance drawing from Fedora and applying your fixes where needed. Getting started will probably be hard, but once things are running you'll be OK until there is a key bug you can't get fixed.