Re: New release of Mock (fixes and subscription-manager support)

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 7:02 AM Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 28. 08. 19 v 4:06 Nico Kadel-Garcia napsal(a):
> > i will point out, from experience with subscription manager, that
> > downloading RPM's from subscription-manager is unacceptably slow
> > inmost build environments. Y
>
> Really? cdn.redhat.com is handled by CDN Akamai. It should be pretty fast.
> Thou, issues happens. I recall one issue from past which was caused by bad routing via L3.
> If Red Hat CDN is slow for you, then please contact Red Hat Support.
> --
> Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
> Red Hat, Associate Manager ABRT/Copr, #brno, #fedora-buildsys

If you'd like laughs, look me up. I used to evaluate and in a few
cases designed hardware for Akamai, including their first bulk arrays.
In fact, I built some of their hardened Red Hat operating systems back
before RHEL and Fedora, and I was later delighted that "mock" used
some chroot tools similar to those I used for building and adapting
operating systems for world deployment. Unless Akamai has changed
quite a lot, and they may have, bulky and relatively low traffic
objects are much less likely to remain cached in the proxes at that
"last mile". And unless Red Hat is paying quite a lot to Akamai, they
may not be getting the highest available tier of service. They
wouldn't normally *need* it. RPM transfers and metadata can usually
stand somewhat slower delivery than the highest volume streaming
channels might provide.

The "mirror the RPM mirrors locally" trick goes back decades. and has
been a mainstay for "mock" performance for me. It's also really,
really useful for cluster servers of Fedora, RHEL, etc. to keep from
choking the external network to death and timing out a lot of yum
updates across a cluster. I even used to link it through "rsnapshot"
to provide date-stamped copies of rawhide, though I've not needed that
in a few years.