Re: Fedora Workstation and disabled by default firewall

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 10:26 PM Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 9:27 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The Workstation technical specification document says in part:
>
> Where is the full technical specification document, so one can read it
> not in part, but in full?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Technical_Specification

The discussion and decision to not include firewall-config (GUI
configuration application for firewalld) by default, five years ago
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/QROJ6LHGT5UUMNTBXEIJTPHPI3IWGFRY/

What's changed since then? It's fine to have purposeful re-evaluation
of any requirements or specification, but someone or a group need to
look through the prior history, and clearly articulate why that
history is obsolete, and produce a compelling case why this should be
re-evaluated.

> > A firewall in its default configuration may not interfere with the
> > normal operation of programs installed by default.
>
> Using "public" as the zone default instead of "FedoraWorkstation"
> would satisfy this and provide much more reasonable secure defaults.

You've tested all of the default applications with this zone active?

If some significant number of popular/important applications that
aren't installed by default are effectively silently broken upon
installation, I wouldn't be inclined to support enabling an aggressive
firewall policy out of the box. This needs to be assessed, we can't
just set the default zone to public without testing an understanding
how this impacts the user experience.

And also, these arguments should separate between firewall-config
being installed by default, versus what zone to enable by default.
That includes a hypothetical v2 of FedoraWorkstation zone.

--
Chris Murphy