Re: No longer supporting mailing lists:

Markus Larsson writes:

« HTML content follows »

On 26 August 2019 12:56:42 CEST, "Gerald B. Cox" <gbcox@xxxxxx> wrote:

What issues are you referring to? I don't believe it is reasonable to
believe everything would work exactly the same with Discourse - but
close enough should be sufficient. There are also myriad advantages to
Discourse.

Are these advantages actually documented somewhere?
This move to discourse issue seems to pop up ever so often.
People always claim that there are a tonne of advantages but there rarely are any mention of actual advantages.

I have all my mail sitting right here. I am subscribed to a bunch of mailing list. They all end up in my mailbox, which makes it convenient for me, whenever I get around to it, to go through my mailing lists, and catch up on the latest goings on, here and there.

The mail is sorted the way I want to, organized in my folders according to my preferences.

There's only one place I need to go to catch up on all discussions, both on this list, and others.

To read all my mailing lists, I do exactly the same thing: open each folder, in turn, quickly browse through the subjects, read what I can find interesting, delete the rest, then move on to the next mailing. Quick. Convennient.

If I were to keep track of all the different web sites, and have to keep track of all the bookmarks somewhere, and learn how to use all the different web software out there, it would take me five to ten times as long to do the same thing. I'll probably spend more time browsing through each day's activity (assuming that each web discussion forum even offers the laughably simple feature of showing me only new messages that I haven't seen before) waiting for each page to load, then actually reading it.

I wouldn't even bother.

I'll just stick to mailing lists.

If this one goes away, that's very unfortunate. But I'll still have plenty of other mailing lists, to pass away the time with.