RE: No longer supporting mailing lists:

Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> What issues are you referring to?  I don't believe it is reasonable to
> believe everything would work exactly the same with Discourse - but close
> enough should be sufficient.  There are also myriad advantages to
> Discourse.  Others are also looking at this:

But Discourse is missing an NNTP gateway, which makes it highly impractical
to use. There is an e-mail mode, which is (as already pointed out by others)
in several ways inferior to a real mailing list, but no NNTP mode.

I can browse this mailing list and post to it by subscribing
gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel from news.gmane.org (default NNTP port 119,
TLS encryption is supported with STARTTLS on the same port) with my favorite
NNTP client (KNode). No spam in my mailbox, no annoying web interface, but a
protocol and a client designed for discussion.

As long as Discourse does not either offer its own NNTP gateway or gets
Gmane gatewaying set up (which may require changes to its "mailing list
mode" so that Gmane's scripts can work with it, and I also don't know whom
to contact to get new lists added to Gmane, its current owners are not
communicating well), it will always be painful to use.

        Kevin Kofler