Re: No longer supporting mailing lists:

On Monday, August 26, 2019 4:25:52 AM MST Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> Here you go...

This was clearly written by somebody who has an agenda. Just look at the last
sentence in the opening paragraph!

Other than that, I'll address them subheading at a time:

Links:
You can just send To multiple people or lists, or CC/BCC. Yeah.

Lower bar to entry:
This is definitely an opinion, and I'd argue that email has a lower bar to
entry. You can just use gmail if you want, and some people do. You can also
whitelist company accounts with mailing lists, not that it applies to the
Fedora project.

Moderation controls:
This very list employs spam control and controls "bad behavior" with
moderation controls.

Reduce generic comments:
This sounds like an argument for those annoying emoji response things. I have
to say that I disagree with this claim, agreement is usually not noteworthy,
at least on this list, unless it is accompanied by supporting statements.

Editing:
You can always just send another email to correct whatever went wrong, and it
actually makes it through to the recipients, instead of just getting
overwritten on some web UI.

Regardless, not being able to edit what was said is also a pro, in my opinion,
as it prevents people from posting something, getting responses, and then
changing it after the fact.

Regulate the firehose:
I could not disagree with this any more. Whoever wrote this just doesn't
understand how mailing lists work.

Search friendly archive that prevents repetition:
Most email clients have a search function. So does the web UI to our mailing
lists.

On-site:
I don't think this applies to the Fedora use case, as that's not an issue
here.

"World wide web":
I fail to see why this point is even present, but we've got that too.

"Discourse can be used as a mailing list":
"Yes", however its actual functionality leaves much to be desired.

Also, under "Mailing list pros":
I have no idea why "Works well when *everyone needs to see everything*" is
there. That makes absolutely no sense. Mailing lists can have access controls
too, this very list does, though it's very basic.

--
John M. Harris, Jr. <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Splentity