Re: No longer supporting mailing lists:

On 26 August 2019 14:27:53 CEST, "Gerald B. Cox" <gbcox@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> It seems that the only thing in that link that has merit in regards
>to this list is that
>> discourse allow editing of messages that has been sent.
>>
>> As for the other things I disagree with pretty much everything. I
>don't think email is
>> too hard to use, I don't think large mailinglists are a problem, I
>don't see any
>> spam here, I don't think linking to things in emails is hard etc.
>>
>> Discourse has many uses but it pushes people toward a single
>interface where as
>> mailinglists let's people be much more free to choose their own
>interfaces.
>> And yes, discourse can email me when things happen, the formatting of
>mail does make
>> following the conversation much harder than a simple maillinglist.
>>
>> I also thought this was discussed earlier this year and that the
>conclusion was that
>> discourse was a bad fit.
>>

>I received an email from Fedora Discourse earlier this week and it
>looked fine.  I was able to reply directly or press a button which
>opened up the web interface.  Are there differences that I didn't
>notice?  Probably... would most people notice them... probably not.

Was it a lengthy conversation where you needed context from earlier posts?
Was is easily at hand right in your email client?

>As far as you not considering the other advantages listed as
>meaningful, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it.  I simply
>disagree.

That's exactly my point. The advantages listed are mere stated opinions. Except editing and community moderation which are actual features.

>As far as discourse being a bad fit, I also disagree.  Whenever change
>happens some people are always resistant... but to make progress change
>is required and legacy items are sometimes impacted.... some examples
>are KDE 3 to 4 to 5 - GNOME 2.3 to 3... Python 2.7 to 3... the list
>goes on.

Writing this off as me being hostile to change is not only wrong but also rather snarky. Did you intend that?

Every time discourse is brought up it seems that anyone asking what will be better over maillinglists are accused of being hostile to change, this time is not different.