Re: Join the new Minimization Team

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019, at 7:34 AM, Daniel Walsh wrote:

> I agree.  Entering a container and doing a yum update is an
> Anti-pattern.

This is a complex discussion - I think we need both.  Personally I
live inside a "pet" container using https://github.com/cgwalters/coretoolbox
and I definitely `yum update` inside there, though I do also periodically
destroy it and re-pull.

Kubernetes though for sure is about non-pet containers.

> Buildah and Multi-Stage builds do allow you to eliminate
> these tools, but that is more difficult to do.

multi-stage is easy and obvious for the case of e.g. Golang and Rust single compiled binaries, and it's not too hard to do for other compiled languages (C/C++) as long as you have a notion of `BuildRequires` versus `Requires`.
For interpreted languages though, yeah, not as worthwhile unless you're pulling in a *lot* of build dependencies (doc tooling?) distinct from your runtime ones.