Re: Join the new Minimization Team

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 9:05:31 AM MST Christian Glombek wrote:
> I would be especially interested in minimizing container images.
> I'd like to e.g. see purpose-built containers without an actual package
> manager inside. You just have the container, mount the config, and go.
> We're also trying to minimize Fedora CoreOS[1], so this is definitely a
> topic of overall interest!
>
> [1] https://github.com/coreos/fedora-coreos-tracker/issues/186
>
> Christian Glombek
>
> Associate Software Engineer
>
> Red Hat GmbH <https://www.redhat.com/>
> <https://www.google.com/maps/place/Engeldamm+64b,+10179+Berlin/@52.5058176,1
> 3.4191433,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x47a84e30d99f7f43:0xe6059fb480bfd85c!
> 8m2!3d52.5058176!4d13.421332>
>
> cglombek@xxxxxxxxxx <akollmer@xxxxxxxxxx>
> <https://red.ht/sig>
>

> Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/, Sitz: Grasbrunn,
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München, HRB 153243,
> Geschäftsführer: Charles Cachera, Michael O'Neill, Tom Savage, Eric Shander
>
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 5:24 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 10:58 AM Adam Samalik <asamalik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi everyone!
> > >
> > > I'm starting a Minimization Objective [1] focusing on minimising the
> >
> > installation size of some of the popular apps, runtimes, and other pieces
> > of software in Fedora.
> >
> > > And there is a new Minimization Team [2] forming. Members of the team
> >
> > will consult and work with Fedora maintainers, develop tooling and
> > services, generate reports showing the status of the Fedora ecosystem and
> > comparison with other ecosystems, etc. The goal is to build an environment
> > where it's easy for our maintainers to keep things small over time, it's
> > not just a one-off effort. Please see the Action Plan [3] for more
> > details.
> >
> > > Want to become a member? Let me know!
> > >
> > > Cheers!
> > > Adam
> > >
> > > [1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/minimization/
> > > [2] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/minimization/team/
> > > [3] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/minimization/action-plan/
> >
> > I'm interested, but not just for minimization for the sake of it. We
> > need to be thoughtful about how we are changing the dependency tree.
> >

> > --
> > 真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!

Having a container without a package manager sounds like the worst possible
thing to add to an already poorly implemented solution. In reality,
containers, regardless of what they're running, should be treated as what they
are, GNU/Linux installs. Each one should be self sufficient from the host
system, so that they can be properly updated using a package manager.

Each container should, realistically, be a self contained system.

--
John M. Harris, Jr. <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Splentity