Re: [HEADS-UP] gradle will go away

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019, 13:48 Mat Booth <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 14:24, Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> After some discussions, we (the Stewardship SIG) have decided that we
> cannot continue to maintain gradle in fedora.
>
> - the current version packaged in fedora is outdated (4.4.1, from Dec.
> 2017, vs. 5.5.1 from July 2019)
> - it currently doesn't build itself (not even in bootstrap mode), and
> needs an older version tagged into rawhide as a buildroot override to
> even build (this doesn't work anymore, due to rawhide gating)

Is that really true? You can't create buildroot overrides for it?

Yes. This issue came up in the flock talk about rawhide gating. It's currently not possible to create buildroot overrides for rawhide, since the packages get stuck in the wrong tag.

Even so, creating buildroot overrides in rawhide should never be necessary except in extraordinary circumstances (like only an older version of gradle being able to build itself).

Fabio