Re: Why retire Python 2 packages and games that still work to end user ?

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 9:33 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11. 08. 19 3:45, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> >> Maintaining python 2 requires maintaining a*lot*  of infrastructure.
> > What kind of infrastructure do you need to maintain a package that is (will
> > be) no longer updated upstream? This takes almost no work. The only thing to
> > do is to backport some security fixes from Python 3, and occasionally to fix
> > FTBFS bugs.
>

> We are still planning to maintain the interpreter. As is documented in the
> change. So can we please stop arguing about maintaining the interpreter over and
> over? It is staying and our team will maintain it at least until RHEL 7 EOL,
> possibly longer.

So why do package maintainers have to do a whole lot of extra work to
keep a package that has already been approved in the distro. There's a
lot of work going into various stacks upstream for python3 work but in
a lot of cases the time available is split and now we're asking the
limited maintainers of packaged in Fedora to do more work
unnecessarily to keep their packages around otherwise they're be
aggressively killed off and they'll have to then do even more work to
get them back.... or probably just go and use Ubuntu or CentOS or
something else instead. This is frankly a ridiculous policy!