Re: Why retire Python 2 packages and games that still work to end user ?

Sérgio Basto wrote:
> Why we would retire childsplay or gcompris or gdesklets ? IMHO we still
> haven't a replacement .
>
> From  [1] I strongly disagree with the text,  why all python 2 packages
> will be removed automatically and why I would have a lot of work if I
> want keep one package alive . why not the opposite ? .
> Python 3 it isn't even the default why such hurry to drop python 2 at
> all , when we still have epel 7 with python 2 ...
>
> My opinion at least postpone this decision one or two releases to
> Fedors 33/34 , many things still just work with python 2 .

I second that wholeheartedly.

This change is just not implementable as it stands. Way too much upstream
software still depends on Python 2. (In fact, I am not even convinced that
it can be implemented as stated, ever, without dropping huge parts of Fedora
and making it useless for a wide number of users. But what is sure is that
it definitely cannot implemented without huge fallout in time for Fedora
32.)

I also completely fail to see what value the rename from python2 to python27
(yet another one, after the already pointless rename from python to python2)
will bring to our users. But the worst part is the required FESCo exception
approval for every single remaining Python 2 package, along with loads of
bureaucracy that many packages will be unable to comply with (starting from
the plan to move to Python 3, which depends on upstream, if there is even a
live upstream to begin with).

This is absolutely not a reasonable and social way to deal with
compatibility packages in Fedora.

        Kevin Kofler