Re: systemd-243-rc1

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 4:16 AM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So ... prerelease versions are usually tagged with an "-rc1" suffix
> (or similar), which is a valid value for git tags, but RPM doesn't
> allow versions to contain hyphens.
> In RPM versions, prereleases can be tagged with an "~rc1" suffix (or
> similar), which does exactly the right thing for version comparisons
> in RPM, but is not a valid value for a git tag.

It's also not following semver. Semver numbering, which is shown by
the numbering of semver releases at https://semver.org/,  would be
"-rc.1".

Also not that there are many, many projects which do not follow this
semver rule and would use "rc1" without any dash whatsoever. Samba is
an example, and has used such numbering for decades.

With all that said, this is a "what color is the bikeshed" argument.
Let's leave alone the people using git, although a bit oddly, and let
them focus on the actual work.