Re: Authentication in fedpkg

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 14:00, Björn Persson <Bjorn@rombobjörn.se> wrote:

I'm sorry to be complaining. I know everybody has too much to do (myself
included), but seriously folks, this needs to be improved. This is not
a good user experience. I hope the plans to retire some less important
services will lead to somebody finding some time to improve the user
interface for these essential tasks.

FAS has been on the block to replace/fix for over 10 years. Changes in authentication methods require a lot of dedicated work because it affects all workflows somewhere.. and because it would mean so much downtime.. it has never gotten the resources in time and engineers to do. Even taking someone else's existing solution and using it requires rewriting a lot of tools to get it to work consistently. It also sometimes means something we could do before is gone. So instead we have had to jury rig in a new method each time a service comes in.. all in the hopes that next year we can get the replacement.

I would love that I could wave a magic wand and fix this.. but I would have done that any time in the last 10 years.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.