Rolling out Phase I of rawhide package gating

Good Morning Everyone,

TL;DR: On July 24th we will turn on the first phase of Rawhide package gating,
for single build updates.
In a later phase, Rawhide updates that contain multiple builds will also be
enabled for gating. Our goal is to improve our ability to continuously turn out
a useful Fedora OS. So we hope and expect to get opt-in from as many Fedora
package maintainers as possible, including maintainers of the base OS. But this
phase of gating remains opt-in, and should not affect packagers who choose for
now not to opt in.

Last April FESCo approved a change proposal[1] allowing to gate Rawhide packages
based on test results. The proposal included gating updates with only a single
build as well as updates with multiple builds. It was designed to cause minimal
to no interference with the current workflow of packagers who do not opt-in.

The team has been working hard on this proposal, and decided to do a phased
roll-out of this change, so that we can gather feedback as early as possible
from the packagers interested in testing this workflow without impacting
everyone.

On July 24th, we plan to turn on the first phase of this change.

What does it mean for us as packagers?
--------------------------------------

When you run `fedpkg build` on Rawhide, your package will be built in a new koji
tag (which will be the default target for Rawhide). The package will be picked
up from this koji tag, signed and moved onto a second tag. Bodhi will be
notified by koji once this new build is signed and will automatically create an
update for it (you will be notified about this by email by bodhi directly) with
a “Testing” status. If the package maintainer has not opted in into the CI
workflow, the update will be pushed to “Stable” and the build will be pushed
into the regular Rawhide tag, making it available in the Rawhide buildroot, just
as it is today.

If the package maintainer has opted in into the CI workflow, the creation of the
update will trigger the CI pipeline which will send its results to resultsdb,
triggering greenwave to evaluate if all the required tests have passed or not,
thus allowing the update to go through the gate or not.

This is the first roll-out of this gating change, and so there may be additional
tuning and fixes until things are as smooth as we want them to be. With this
release we are looking for feedback on what can be improved. We have a dedicated
team working on this project and we will be taking your feedback into account to
improve the experience.

Small FAQ:
--------------
But I do not want to use gating!
While we believe CI and gating will ultimately help making a better Fedora,
there is nothing enforced at this point. Keep packaging as you do now!

How do I enroll?
Great! We’re glad to see such enthusiasm! You can find the instruction in the
docs on how to enable gating: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/ci/gating/

It does not work!
Bugs will be bugs. This is the first roll-out of this change, and more will
come. This rollout lets us gather feedback and iterate on the approach in an
open source fashion.
If you did not opt-in and you can’t do your packaging work as you used to,
please file a infrastructure ticket, since it’s likely a bug:
https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/new_issue?title=[CI]
If you did opt-in and something in the gating of your update doesn’t work (for
example, CI ran but its results aren’t being considered, waiving didn’t work…),
file an infrastructure ticket:
https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/new_issue?title=[CI]
If you opted-in and the tests don’t run the way you expect, file a fedora-ci
ticket: https://pagure.io/fedora-ci/general/new_issue

I enrolled but now I want to step out for some reasons
:sad trombone:
We hope you reported all the issues you’ve found/faced and are helping us
resolving them.
In the meanwhile, you can simply remove the gating.yaml file you’ve added in
your git repo and that should be enough to make greenwave ignore your package.

Want to know more? Your question isn’t here? Check our documentation on
rawhide gating: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/rawhide-gating/ [2]
We’ll keep it up to date as we face or solve questions.

Pierre
For the Rawhide package gating team

[1] https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2102

[2] At the time of writing this, it looks like the website is having some
difficulties build the new version of the docs. This should get resolved in the
coming hours, sorry for the inconvenience.
(If only it had CI... :-))