Re: Discussion around app retirements and categorizations by the CPE team

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 11:19:17AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot via devel wrote:
> Le 2019-07-22 10:22, Miro Hrončok a écrit :
>
> > Personally, I wish we had spent less engineering time in
> > infrastructure on Modularity and more on the contributor UX :(
>
> It’s not just Modularity. Modularity is just a symptom. There is something
> deeply broken in the Red Hat / Fedora interface.
>
> RHEL made Red Hat fortunes. It’s what justified the billions IBM paid for it
> (RHEL is the only Red Hat product where Red Hat completely dominates the
> market, even the best other offerings, like OpenShift, are just one among
> many).
>
> And Fedora is RHEL’s future.
>
> And yet what do we see ?

A team that is over-committed and try to scale down to narrow its focus and be
in a position to help more the project?
And to reinforce, I am speaking about *a team*, not in anyway the whole of Red
Hat.

[...]

> Huge Red Hat investments, in the container ecosystem. And yet we get told
> CPE is downsizing its activities, in part because all the new cool things
> happen in the container space, contributors want to work on cool things,
> Fedora/RHEL is absent from this space, packaging the things containerized
> infra need is an afterthought.

Could you expend what you mean here? I really do not follow how you go from that
first sentence to the second.
To me the relation is as obvious as "The sky is blue. And yet we are told that
ants can carry 10 to 50 times their body weight", I really do not see the
relation nor causality your use of "And yet" seems to imply :)

Pierre