Re: Discussion around app retirements and categorizations by the CPE team

Le 2019-07-22 17:29, Pierre-Yves Chibon a écrit :
On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 11:19:17AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot via devel wrote:
Le 2019-07-22 10:22, Miro Hrončok a écrit :

> Personally, I wish we had spent less engineering time in
> infrastructure on Modularity and more on the contributor UX :(

It’s not just Modularity. Modularity is just a symptom. There is something
deeply broken in the Red Hat / Fedora interface.

RHEL made Red Hat fortunes. It’s what justified the billions IBM paid for it (RHEL is the only Red Hat product where Red Hat completely dominates the market, even the best other offerings, like OpenShift, are just one among
many).

And Fedora is RHEL’s future.

And yet what do we see ?

A team that is over-committed and try to scale down to narrow its focus and be
in a position to help more the project?
And to reinforce, I am speaking about *a team*, not in anyway the whole of Red
Hat.

Yes, sure, and it’s way better to scale down in a planned way than explode in flight like happened Java SIG. But, in the end, it’s the same root cause: inadequate level of resources just to keep going, because the problem space became more rich and complex, but the level of investment didn’t follow.

And I realize it’s a lot easier to write for someone not working @rh, and I’m probably making a lot of persons on the list uncomfortable, but how many Fedora activities need to scale down or close before someone tells the @rh higher ups there is a problem?

[...]

Huge Red Hat investments, in the container ecosystem. And yet we get told CPE is downsizing its activities, in part because all the new cool things happen in the container space, contributors want to work on cool things, Fedora/RHEL is absent from this space, packaging the things containerized
infra need is an afterthought.

Could you expend what you mean here? I really do not follow how you go from that
first sentence to the second.

That was given as one of the reasons in the thread: CPE is downsizing, in part because there are less outsiders willing to work, because the cool stuff is container-side, and CPE does not do it. So we’ve slowly gotten to the point, where non-Fedora @rh initiatives, are vacuuming the cool factor space, that Fedora needs to survive and grow.

--
Nicolas Mailhot