Re: Heads up: No more snap plugin in gnome-software

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 9:13 PM Robert Ancell
<robert.ancell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks Neal.
>
> Let me reassure you that we are committed to maintaining the G-S Snap plugin and snapd-glib. We do want to ensure it’s available for any user of GNOME Software that wishes to use Snaps, regardless of which distro they are using. The Snap plugin is enabled in all Ubuntu releases so it should work well, but if there are unit test failures please let us know.

What I'm confused about is how the situation got to this point.
Richard seems to indicate that this has been broken in GNOME Software
upstream for some time, and that's concerning. I thought you worked
upstream in GNOME on this?

> We’re happy for the Snap plugin to be built in a separate source package for Fedora if that’s necessary and we’re obviously keen to see snapd-glib up to date in Fedora. The dependencies are fairly light so it should be quick to update but let us know if there is anything we can do to make this easier. Note that snapd-glib updates frequently to enable new features in snapd but retains backwards compatibility.

Honestly, the only reason I hadn't updated it to 1.48 is due to being
busy and lack of noticing it's there. It's been generally easy for me
to update it across all Fedora releases and even EPEL7.

I've pushed updates to Bodhi now for snapd-glib 1.48, in addition to
pushing it into Rawhide:
* F30: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2019-b6612c5fe5
* F29: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2019-bc3dfb389f
* EPEL7: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2019-238f49e9a5

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 5:34 PM Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 21:02, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If an update occurs even within stable
> > releases, I would expect it to have a chance to break.
>
> We don't break plugin ABI in stable GNOME releases. e.g. 3.32.1 will
> be the same internal ABI as 3.32.x. In development releases (e.g.
> 3.33.x) all plugin ABI is fair game.
>
> Also note: at the moment the plan is to keep the snap plugin in the
> upstream tree unless something drastic changes.

I'd *really* prefer to find a solution which lets us keep building the
plugin as part of the gnome-software source package. If there have
been snap plugin specific issues, I haven't heard of them, and I
*know* that Robert and the rest of the folks working on non-Ubuntu
snap work would like to know about them, so they can do something
about it. Sadly, omniscience and mind reading technology don't exist,
so we need to be told these things. :)