Re: Heads up: No more snap plugin in gnome-software

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:34 AM Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 14:52, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My understanding of the situation was that Canonical is working on a
> > separate experience tailored for Ubuntu because they have extra needs,
> > but all of it was built on GNOME Software in the first place.
>
> No, it's also a new codebase: https://github.com/ubuntu/snap-store --
> it's confusing as the name "Snap Store" is also the name of the
> debadged-gnome-software version too.
>
> > My opinion on this is that because we don't ship the plugin or snapd
> > by default on any variant of Fedora, we don't really run counter to
> > the rules.
>
> So in the same way, we could have a checkbox for "Flathub support" in
> the gnome-software addons page? I don't think that would wash with
> legal as we would be "facilitating" access to patent encumbered
> software. I don't think the "by default" arguments protects us like
> that.
>
> > Would it make sense for Zygmunt and Maciek (CC'd to this email) to be
> > added as CC contacts on Bugzilla, so they can address snap plugin
> > issues when they arise?
>
> No, as they're not the ones committing fixes to gnome-software.
> Watching a bugzilla ticket doesn't equate to being responsible for
> bugs. The snap plugin self tests are failing in CI, and we can't even
> update to a newer gnome-software in rawhide as the version of
> snapd-glib is too old. Usually when that happens either me or Kalev
> have to hunt down the new tarballs, add any new BRs, scratch build,
> build, submit as an update etc and that's just not fair.

For what it's worth, Robert Ancell also has an RHBZ account and can be
added as a CC if needed. That said, Maciek and Zygmunt are the folks
at Canonical generally responsible for ensuring the non-Ubuntu
experience is as good as it can be. They are the people I work with
for Fedora considerations upstream most of the time. They are both
knowledgeable and capable of working on that side if needed.

I was unaware you've been needing new releases of snapd-glib more
frequently. I've mainly been updating them whenever I get a bug report
or when I notice a new version is available. If you need me to be more
aggressive on updating snapd-glib, I could have done that.

> > I'm just generally confused about this, and somewhat blindsided...
>
> I was informed of the Canonical decision a few weeks ago, and it too
> took me by surprise. I guess winning the war comes at a cost, and this
> camel has a broken back.
>
> > I wish someone had looped *me* into these conversations, as one of the
> > snap support maintainers in Fedora, I'm relying on these things to
> > provide a good experience for Fedora users of snaps...
>
> I was asked not to distribute details about the conversations until
> they had made a public statement, which still hasn't been done. I'm
> not comfortable with the situation at all either but we have to do
> something.

:(