Re: Heads-up: rpm 4.15 alpha coming to rawhide

On Wed, 2019-06-12 at 12:40 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On 6/12/19 12:12 PM, Jitka Plesnikova wrote:

> > > Thanks for the heads up. Perl maintainers are deliberating an optimal
> > > resolution now. We will come up with a proposal in a few days.
> > %{__perl} will be moved to perl-srpm-macros. Some packages use it in
> > list of
> > BuildRequires and so it has to be defined in buildroot when source rpm
> > is built.
> > %perl_sitearch and %perl_sitelib will be removed, because they are not used
> > in any spec file.
> > %perl_vendorlib, %perl_vendorarch, %perl_archlib and %perl_privlib will be
> > placed in perl-macros. To prevent the build failures, perl-macros will be
> > added as build-require to packages, which use the macros and doesn't
> > build-require perl-generators (it run-requires perl-macros).
>
> Ok, sounds more or less the way I expected it to be.
>
> > %requires_eq isn't perl macro and it stays in redhat-rpm-config. The macro
> > is used only in samba.spec.
>
> %requires_eq was considered somehow perl-related in upstream (due to
> whatever long forgotten history)

AIUI, it is/was commonly used by perl module packages to require the
same version of perl as the module package was built with, because this
is/was a thing in perl - when perl's version got bumped, all modules
needed rebuilding too. That's probably where the 'perl-related' thing
comes in - it's not that the actual thing %requires_eq does is in any
way perl-specific, but it's a thing that was introduced in response to
this particular property of perl and its modules, and IIRC not often or
ever used by anything else.

However in Fedora, we don't use %requires_eq for perl modules, at least
not any more (perhaps we did in the past, I don't know). Instead we
have the perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_[version]) dependency that is handled by
our own perl macros (provided by the interpreter package and
automatically required by module packages). I *have* run across the use
of %requires_eq in SUSE packages, though.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey